Patent Litigation Solicitor
Vacancy: Patent Litigation Solicitor
Office location: London
Seniority: Associate or Senior Associate
Working hours: Full-time
EIP is award-winning and specialises in high-value and complex patent matters with offices in Europe and the US. Our multidisciplinary team combines patent attorneys, litigators and commercial IP lawyers in three of the world’s main patent markets - Germany, UK and USA. EIP has an impressive global client base from SMEs to multinational blue-chip companies and includes telecoms owners, major software developers, pharma and biotech companies, medical device manufacturers, aerospace and logistics companies.
EIP has been recognised for its expertise across legal directories and awards. For the fourth year in a row, EIP has been ranked in the FT's list of Europe’s Leading Patent Law Firms. In 2022, EIP won Managing IP’s ‘European Patent Contentious Firm of the Year’, and for four consecutive years before that, EIP was named as Managing IP’s ‘UK Patent Contentious Firm of the Year’.
Diversity is an intrinsic part of EIP’s business culture. We are proud to support the IP Inclusive initiative and we are a signatory to the IP Inclusive Charter. EIP actively engages in diversity efforts and is committed to developing an attitude of openness for the benefit of all those working in the IP profession.
About the litigation team
Formed in November 2011, our substantial multi award-winning patent litigation practice is highly successful for its clients and highly ranked in the legal directories. Our cross-border team of patent litigators sits in Germany and the UK thus allowing us to service clients in two of the key European patent litigation jurisdictions.
Our innovative combination of experienced specialist patent litigators and the wide variety of technical specialties of our patent attorneys provides an invaluable combination of professionals to work with to evaluate the fine detail of any case both technically and legally.
As borne out by our long line of client successes in the court room, this combination gives EIP and its clients an invaluable tool for the early identification and preparation of the most suitable case for our clients’ needs, and the progression of that case through to trial.
The litigation team has offices in London and Dusseldorf. It currently has 8 partners, 3 Managing Associates, 15 Associates and 2 trainees.
About the vacancy
EIP is looking for a new IP litigation solicitor to join our London office. The patent litigation practice is continuing to develop at a rapid rate, and we are looking for talented professionals to help out with increased work demands from existing clients and new work demands from recent client instructions.
We are looking for a Solicitor to join our leading litigation department who will cover the following areas:
- Drafting a variety of legal documents, including pleadings, expert evidence and fact evidence
- Attending client, counsel and expert meetings and participating as appropriate
- Assisting with the preparation of cases
- Drafting inter-partes correspondence
- Contributing to case strategy and analysis
- Attending hearings
Additionally, the Solicitor will develop their skills in other areas, to include:
- Client care
- Practice support
- Case management
- Communication skills
- Business development
You will have the opportunity to work in IP litigation, supporting the team in all aspects of their contentious work.
Skills, experience and qualifications
The successful candidate will have demonstrable experience within patent litigation.
You will be comfortable working in a modern, fast-paced environment where you are given a level of autonomy to do your work.
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the following:
- An undergraduate or postgraduate degree in a scientific subject (highly desirable but not essential)
- Training gained at a recognised legal practice
- Exposure to large clients and significant patent litigation cases
- At least four years’ post qualification experience within intellectual property litigation either at a specialist IP law firm or another large firm, preferably with significant experience in patent litigation
- An appropriate professional attitude (personable, well prepared, flexible and enthusiastic)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to express complex ideas clearly and concisely, and the ability to structure a precise and coherent argument
- Ability to manage significant workstreams on their own (although colleagues are available to provide advice and support), but also the ability to deal with a variety of people at all levels
- Ability to balance knowledge of intellectual property law against commercial requirements
- Ability to work under pressure, which may be the result of competing and inflexible deadlines when working for more than one client at the same time
- Excellent research and presentation skills
- Self-motivation, and the ability to manage own workload
- Meticulous attention to detail, and an analytical mind
- Initiative and the ability to act independently
Full academic and professional support ensures EIP are training the Intellectual Property stars of tomorrow.
With our state-of-the-art paperless systems, we offer hybrid working, three days in the office and two from home.
The firm has a friendly, progressive and mutually supportive working environment along with a smart casual dress policy and stylish modern offices.
Benefits & rewards
- Our Solicitors receive a competitive salary and enjoy several benefits:
- Discretionary bonus
- 25 days of holiday, excluding bank holidays
- Private medical health care
- Free eye tests
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Group personal pension plan
- Enhanced maternity, paternity, adoption, and shared parental leave
EIP is an equal opportunities employer that values diversity and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, religious practice or any other perceived differences.
If you would like to be considered for this position, please email your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, providing information about your availability to commence a new role. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch with the talent team.