Department: Client Services
Working hours: Full-time
EIP is an award-winning specialist patent firm with offices in Europe and the US and combines patent attorneys, litigators and commercial IP lawyers to provide clients with a seamless service. EIP has an impressive global client base from SMEs to multinational blue-chip companies and includes telecoms owners, major software developers, pharma and biotech companies, medical device manufacturers, aerospace and logistics companies.
The business is organised into several tech areas to reflect the expertise of the attorneys and lawyers at EIP. These include EIP Dynamics, EIP Elements, EIP Life, EIP Healthtech, and EIP Energy, as well as our class-leading electronics practice, EIP Digital. We also have an award-winning Litigation team.
EIP has been recognised for its expertise across legal directories and awards. For the third year in a row, EIP has been ranked in the FT's list of Europe’s Leading Patent Law Firms. In 2021, EIP received gold ranking in six categories. For the past four years, EIP has also been named as Managing IP’s ‘UK Patent Contentious Firm of the Year’.
Diversity is an intrinsic part of EIP’s business culture. We are proud to support the IP Inclusive initiative and we are a signatory to the IP Inclusive Charter. EIP actively engages in diversity efforts and is committed to developing an attitude of openness for the benefit of all those working in the IP profession.
EIP has a friendly, progressive, and mutually supportive working environment along with a smart casual dress policy and stylish modern offices.
About the billing team
The billing team currently comprises of three billing professionals who are based in London. Due to EIP’s continued growth and recent increase in client demand the billing team is undergoing a period of growth itself. We are looking to hire two billing professionals into our newly renovated Bath office.
The billing function was established only two years ago and is still in its early days with plenty of scope for development and expansion. The current members of the team have been selected very carefully. It’s a vibrant and selfless team where the ethos is “the team comes first”. The working environment has been set in a way which allows characteristics such as individualism and thinking outside of the box to flourish. For all these reasons we would be interested to hear from individuals who are up for a challenge and have an inner determination to be the best they can be. This is a team that is growing together, and the Billing Coordinator role would be an excellent opportunity for someone who is seeking a new challenge.
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to work at the heart of our successful billing team, performing all billing duties in support of the team, supervising a Billing Assistant, and contributing towards the continuing growth of EIP.
- Act as first point of contact for queries and requests from EIP’s lawyers across the UK and Germany
- Organise and distribute monthly billing workload, such as preparation of WIP reports, amending WIP, drafting and finalising bills. Assisting paralegals with billing queries and supporting the billing team.
- Managing eBilled clients, including the upload of LEDES files & bills, the onboarding process for new ebilled clients, managing client invoices and client rates, invoice rejections and queries
- Oversee compliance with internal billing procedures
- Communicate with clients
- Liaise with EIP’s accounts team
- Manage disbursements; and
- Request the opening of new case files
- Produce reports and assist in monitoring of WIP and billed fees to ensure compliance with budgets
- Assist in the preparation of costs estimates, budgets and monitoring compliance; and
- Assist with the preparation of statement of costs (interim and final)
- Motivate, mentor and develop the billing assistant
- Provide support and supervise performance
- Promote a collaborative working environment to ensure a professional and efficient service delivery to internal and external clients
- Work alongside Billing Coordinator and Billing Manager to continue the development and the growth of the department
Skills, experience & qualifications
You will be comfortable working in a modern, fast-paced environment where you are given a level of autonomy to do your work.
Successful candidates will also be able to demonstrate the following:
- 1 or 2 years of experience in legal or patent prosecution billing/client invoicing
- E-billing experience
- Degree level in Accounting or previous work experience in the field
- Professional attitude – personable, well prepared, flexible and enthusiastic
- Ability to manage own workload and to ensure that it is completed to the highest standard possible
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to prioritise
- Initiative and desire to consistently exceed expectations
- Self-motivation and team spirit
- Strong numerical ability
- Meticulous attention to detail and an analytical mind
- Excellent IT skills, with strong emphasis on Excel
- Working knowledge of Inprotech or a similar IP Management platform
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to deal with a variety of people at different levels
- Ability to foster trust and understanding within the team by showing willingness to assist when requests come in and by being positive and responsive to requests
Rewards & Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and several benefits:
- Discretionary bonus
- 25 days of holiday, excluding bank holidays
- Private medical health care
- Free eye tests
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Electric vehicle scheme
- Group personal pension plan
- Enhanced maternity, paternity, adoption, and shared parental leave
- Flex leave
- Holiday Loyalty
With our state-of-the-art paperless systems, we offer hybrid working, three days in the office and two from home. EIP’s employees also enjoy reduced business hours on the days when working from the office subject to there being no urgent work commitments.
EIP is an equal opportunities employer that values diversity and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, religious practice or any other perceived differences.
If you would like to be considered for this position, please email your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, providing information about your notice period, current package, and salary expectation. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch with the talent team.