Mark is an experienced commercial IP and data protection lawyer who has advised clients in many industry sectors on a wide variety of commercial arrangements including technology transfer agreements, IP licences, trademark licences and franchise agreements, R&D and collaboration agreements, and outsourcing, development and system procurement agreements, and in corporate and corporate finance transactions.
Before he joined EIP, Mark was a partner with Brown Rudnick LLP for the past four years, and before that Mark was at Ashurst LLP for over 20 years heading up different teams in IP and tech during his time there.
- A global entertainments and theme park provider regarding brand and operational rights licensing for the development of a new theme park in Dubai and in relation to various acquisitions and its procurement of an online ticketing system
- A global chip designer on an UNICITRAL arbitration regarding patent infringement allegations and a technology licensing agreement relating to the design and development of semi-conductor chips for 4G technology
- A global life sciences company on an ICC arbitration relating to a dispute in connection with a material sciences technology licence
- A major hydrocarbons producer in respect of over 100 process systems and hydrocarbon technology and raw material commercial supply and service agreements as part of a proposed acquisition
- Arakis Ltd and Vectura Group plc on a landmark US$375 million technology licensing agreement with Swiss pharmaceuticals giant Novartis for their jointly developed inhaled combination therapy for asthma and COPD
- A major UK based process systems provider in relation to its merger with the control software business of a global French/US entity– which involved a very complex array of transitional and longer lasting services and technology supply agreement between the parties
- Imperial College London of Science, Technology and Medicine in relation to its technology pipeline agreement and as a major shareholder of Imperial Innovations Group (now Touchstone, part of IP Group PLC) and on a £140 million rights issue and issue of warrants by Imperial Innovations Group
- The IP aspects of the sale of The Ritz hotel in London to a Qatari based investment group
- The IP, IT and data protection aspects of IPO’s and rights issues for a number of AIM listed companies including the the IPO's of RenalytixAI, VericiDX, and Trellus Health
- Providing data protection advice for clients relating to, inter alia, privacy policies for start ups engaged in the Fintech industry, the global sharing of clinical data by a pharmaceutical company, the processing of telephony location and other data re footfall for a real estate business services company, in respect of a ransom-ware attack for a listed PLC, an investigation into the merits of a claim for the use of healthcare data in breach of GDPR for a litigation funder, and a data sharing agreement with Ticketmaster
- Drafting and negotiating IT commercial agreements for start- ups relating to the development and licensing of Saas platforms), for a major UK IT media company on the development and procurement of an IT system to provide asset management services and a delivery platform to assist in the clearance and distribution of TV commercials), and for the business management service provider to a world famous area of London for the supply of WiFi services and of visitor data services
- Advising Singha Beer in respect of a beer supply and distribution contract for the UK with Shepherd Neame plc.
- Advising a listed biotech company focussing on mechanisms for the bio-delivery of medicines for oncology patients in respect of the grant of an IPR licence and a collaboration and distribution agreement to a Chinese pharmaceutical company
- Advising an early stage agritech company, in relation to the development of its intellectual property portfolio and related agreements
- 1 July 2022
EIP Update, Artificial Intelligence and Intellectual Property – the Government’s Plans to amend UK law – or not! (link)
- March 2022
World Trademark Review, APE TEES: oppositions, non-registered rights and Brexit (link)
- 1992 - present
The Intellectual Property Section, ‘Practical Commercial Precedents’ (Sweet & Maxwell)
- 1992 - 2008
The Information Technology Section, ‘Practical Commercial Precedents’ (Sweet & Maxwell)
Intellectual Property Section, ‘Practical Commercial Checklists’ (Sweet & Maxwell)
Education and qualifications
Solicitor – Law Society (1984)
CPE, College of Law, Guildford
MA in Natural Sciences and Law, Peterhouse, University of Cambridge
- 2022 — present
- 2018 — 2022
Partner, Brown Rudnick LLP
- 1996 — 2018
Senior Partner, Ashurst LLP
- 1992 — 1995
Associate Partner, Ashurst Morris Crisp
- 1989 — 1992
Senior Associate, Ashurst Morris Crisp
- 1982 — 1988
Associate, McKenna & Co.
- 1981 — 1982
Guest Associate, Jones, Day, Reavis & Pogue, Cleveland, Ohio
Awards and recognition
- Life Sciences: Transactional Band 3, Chambers & Partners, UK 2023,
- Ranked as a "Transactions Star", IP Stars 2022 (link)
- Life Sciences: Transactional Band 3, Chambers & Partners, UK 2022, "I have great confidence in his legal knowledge and his practical advice on life sciences contracts."
- Information Technology & Outsourcing, Band 5, Chambers & Partners, UK 2022. "Mark Lubbock a great guy who is very technically astute, commercial and pragmatic."
- UK-wide Life Sciences: Transactional Legal Band 3, Chambers & Partners, UK Guide 2021. Mark "is a high-level operator and tremendously impressive in negotiations."
- UK Guide 2021, London (Firms) Band 5, Chambers & Partners, Mark is a "good operator spanning commercial and contentious work."
- Chambers & Partners, UK Guide 2015. Mark is considered a "seasoned, sensible practitioner".
- Chambers & Partners, UK Guide 2014. Mark "gets to the bottom of a case very quickly”.
- November 2021
Lecturer on UCL’s Diploma course on IP in Commercial Transactions,
Member of the Society for Computers and the Law (SCL)
Member of International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
Member of Intellectual Property Lawyer's Association (IPLA)
Associate Member of the Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Agents (CITMA)
Member of the International Trademark Association (INTA)
Member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)