Angela Jack is an experienced barrister and a member of the EIP Legal practice. She joined EIP from Chambers in the Temple with a 12-year track record in litigation, having appeared at all levels of tribunals and courts from first instance to the Court of Appeal.
Since joining EIP Angela has been involved in Patent and FRAND litigation and in successful cases from the IPEC, High Court and Court of Appeal, including Unwired Planet v Huawei. She is a law graduate and more recently gained a Postgraduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law from the University of Oxford.
- Lead associate at EIP acting for Unwired Planet in the Court of Appeal, successfully resisting the appeal brought by Huawei in FRAND proceedings. (link)
- Lead associate at EIP in the Unwired Planet v Huawei FRAND proceedings (link)
- Technetix v Teleste. Acting for Teleste in successfully defending them against a claim of patent infringement brought in the IPEC. The case was widely reported, as it was the first time that the English courts had considered the existence of a “Formstein defence”. The court held that the asserted patent was invalid and also held that whilst the alleged infringement would have fallen within the scope of the claims under the doctrine of equivalents, Teleste would have been entitled to a Formstein defence, if such a defence exists in English law. (link)
- Urgent anti-suit proceedings to ensure the discontinuance of proceedings commenced in China by Huawei which sought to relitigate matters already determined in Unwired Planet v Huawei  EWHC 711 (Pat) and to recover monies payable in accordance with that decision
- Unwired Planet International Limited v Huawei, Samsung and Google. Part of the team acting for Unwired Planet in its enforcement of EP (UK) 0,989,712
- Good Technology v MobileIron. Part of the team acting for Good Technology Inc in patent litigation in the field of mobile device management (link)
- Acting for Unwired Planet and Conversant Wireless in successful Supreme Court proceedings against Huawei (and ZTE for Conversant) on the issue of FRAND in the context of Standard Essential Patents (SEPs) in the field of telecommunication. (link)
- Acting for Teleste in successfully defending a claim for patent infringement by Technetix BV in the United Kingdom Patents Court in the field of cable TV equipment. (link)
- Acting for Unwired Planet and Conversant in the Supreme Court appeals brought by Huawei and ZTE. (link)
- Acting for Conversant in the FRAND aspects of Conversant v Huawei and ZTE.
- High Court patent litigation in the field of CATV electronics.
- 4 September 2016
JIPLP, More pain for Pfizer-second medical use claims not infringed (link)
Education and qualifications
Post Graduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice, University of Oxford
1998 — 1999
Bar Vocational Course, Inns of Court School of Law, City University
1995 — 1998
Bachelor of Laws, University of Reading
- 2018 — present
Senior Associate, EIP
- 2015 — 2018
- 2007 — 2015
Barrister, Five Paper
- 2006 — 2007
Barrister, 1 MTL
- 2005 — 2006
Pupil Barrister, Arden Chambers
- French (Conversational)
- British Sign Language (Level 2)
Called to the Bar of England and Wales, 1999