Gary’s career as a leading IP lawyer spans more than 30 years and he has acted in large scale UK IP disputes and cross-border IP disputes both in Europe and the United States. He oversees major litigations handled by the firm and led the team in the recent win at the Supreme Court for Conversant and Unwired Planet in the Unwired Planet v Huawei and Conversant Wireless v Huawei and ZTE cases which are leading cases worldwide on the issue of FRAND in the context of Standard Essential Patents in the field of telecommunication.
As head of EIP Litigation, Gary oversees major litigations handled by the firm. In the past few years he has led the teams in Good Technology v AirWatch, Good Technology v Mobile Iron, Research in Motion v Visto Corporation, and also led the case of Kirin-Amgen v Hoechst Marion Roussel, which for many years stood as the leading case on the construction of patents.
Gary has consistently been ranked among the top UK patent litigators by the Legal 500, Chambers and Partners, IAM Patent 1000, and IP Stars directories.
- Acting for Unwired Planet and Conversant Wireless in successful Supreme Court proceedings against Huawei (and ZTE for Conversant) on the issue of FRAND in the context of Standard Essential Patents (SEPs) in the field of telecommunication. (link)
- Acting for Teleste in successfully defending a claim for patent infringement by Technetix BV in the United Kingdom Patents Court in the field of cable TV equipment. (link)
- Acted for Unwired Planet in successful Court of Appeal proceedings against Huawei for standard essential patent and FRAND litigation. (link)
- Acting for Unwired Planet International Limited in patent and FRAND litigation against Huawei (patents concerning Android, 2G, 3G and LTE technologies).
- Acting for Teleste Corporation in their defence of actions for infringement of patents relating to cable televisions.
- Acting for Good Technology Inc. as part of multinational patent litigation in the field of mobile device management.
- Acting for a major pharmaceutical company in relation to its enforcement of patents.
- March 2022
The Patent Lawyer, Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing? Will the Government’s Review of Standard Essential Patents have the unintended effect of stifling innovation rather than promoting it? (link)
- February 2022
EIP Talks, Phone Wars - The Empire Strikes Back? (link)
- June 2021
EIP Talks, Unwired Planet v Huawei, Standard Essential Patents & the Supreme Court (link)
- February 2012
Accountancy, Boxing clever
- 29 May 2014
The Global Legal Post, Is Rovi fighting a losing battle?
- 16 March 2014
JIPLP, HTC v Nokia: In the UK will an injunction be granted following a finding of patent infringment? (link)
- 4 March 2014
JIPLP, Assessing damages due under a cross-undertaking in damages - more of an art than a science? (link)
- 2 March 2014
Business Reporter (Sunday Telegraph), What leads successful innovation?
- 2 January 2014
JIPLP, The Supreme Court in Virgin v Zodiac - whither the fat lady? (link)
- 29 June 2013
Spicy IP, The legality of ‘reverse payments’ in the EU (link)
- May 2013
The Patent Lawyer, Has the developed world been TRIPsed up?
- 1 May 2013
JIPLP, Bard v Gore: to injunct, or not to injunct, what is the question? Is it right to reward an infringer for successfully exploiting a patent? (link)
- March 2013
Computing, SMEs must grasp Patent Box opportunity (link)
- November 2012
JIPLP, Golden Eye v Telefonica: Media CAT revisited (link)
- June 2012
IP Today, The United Kingdom’s Patent Box Regime
Education and qualifications
1971 — 1974
Law Degree, University of Leicester
- 2011 — present
- 2008 — 2011
Head of IP Litigation Europe, McDermott Will & Emery
- 2001 — 2004
Managing Partner, London, Taylor Wessing
- 1995 — 2000
Head of IP, Taylor Joynson Garrett
- 1990 — 2008
Partner, Taylor Joynson Garrett / Taylor Wessing
- 1979 — 1990
Partner, Woodham Smith
Awards and recognition
- Shortlisted for "Practitioner of the Year (Patent & Trademark Attorney Firms) the United Kingdom" by Managing IP Awards 2022 (link)
- Ranked as 'Solicitors in litigation', JUVE Patent UK 2022. (link)
- Chambers and Partners, 2022. Ranked Lawyers Intellectual Property: Patent Litigation Band 1. "Gary is one of the most personable, responsive people I have dealt with."
- Legal 500, 2022. Gary ‘is the strategic mastermind'. (link)
- Recommended in Who's Who Legal: IP 2021. (link)
- Ranked as 'Excellent' in Patent litigation in UK, Leaders League 2021 (link)
- IAM Patent 1000, 2021. “Huge name” Gary Moss – a “terrific litigator” and “leading light who really knows his stuff”. (link)
- Ranked as a "Patent Star", IP Stars 2021 (link)
- Recommended in JUVE Patent UK rankings 2021. “Terrific, deep knowledge of FRAND matters both within the UK and internationally.” “No nonsense litigator who gets the job done in a very tenacious way.” (link)
- IAM Global Leaders, 2021 (link)
- Chambers and Partners, 2021 Leading Individuals Band 2. "Gary is a very experienced litigator with a good feel for what is a good or bad point."
- Legal 500, 2021. Gary ‘is a totemic strategist, with unparalleled experience in large-scale telecoms litigation. (link)
- IAM Patent 1000, 2020. Gary is a “very switched-on patent litigator with a wide commercial perspective and strong legal knowledge. In particular, he has a deep understanding of FRAND issues and SEPs." (link)
- Who's Who Legal Patents, 2020. "Gary Moss of EIP Europe is a seasoned expert held in awe by peers, one of whom comments, “He’s one of the best practitioners, even when he’s an adversary!”" (link)
- Nominated for "the United Kingdom Practitioner of the Year" by Managing IP Awards 2020 (link)
- Ranked as a "Patent Star", IP Stars 2020 (link)
- Recommended in Juve Patent, 2019 (link)
- Chambers & Partners, 2020: Gary “is a great name in patent licensing for telecoms. Highly experienced, there's nothing he hasn't seen, and therefore has a sensible appreciation for risk and makes the right calls”.
- Legal 500, 2020: "'Very savvy IP litigator' Gary Moss heads up the practice." (link)
- Ranked as a "Patent Star", IP Stars 2019 (link)
- IAM Patent 1000, 2019. "Gary Moss is a FRAND genius; he understands the nuances of the terms intimately. "An excellent strategist," he possesses an “elite understanding of telecoms patent litigation”." (link)
- Legal 500, 2018: Gary Moss "boasts tremendous strategic vision and provides utterly sound commercial advice".
- Ranked as a "Patent Star", IP Stars 2018
- IAM Patent 1000, 2018. "There are few lawyers in the world who know more about standard-essential patents (SEPs) and the telecoms field than Moss."
- Chambers & Partners, 2017: Gary has a "good strategic mind" and is a "very tough and organised litigator."
- Legal 500, 2017: Gary Moss "has ‘fantastic judgement’ and ‘can summarise even the most complex situation concisely’."
- Ranked as a "Patent Star", IP Stars 2017
- IAM Patent 1000, 2017. “A great admiral for any litigation fleet”, Moss “has a tremendous reputation as a commercially astute strategic thinker with gravitas and heavyweight experience”.
- Legal 500, 2016. Gary is an "exceptionally skilled litigator".
- IAM Patent 1000, 2016. Gary has “an excellent understanding of patent litigation in the telecommunications sector”.
- Ranked in Chambers & Partners 2015, 2016
- Recommended as leading individual in 'The IAM Patent 1000' in 2013, 2014, 2015. (link)
- Ranked in IP Stars 2016
- French (Basic)
- 14 September 2020
CIPA Congress 2020, Unwired Planet Reqired
- 14-15 November 2019
MaCCI Law & Economics Conference, FRAND and alternative dispute resolutions in IP disputes (link)
- 7-8 November 2019
UCL Institute of Brand and Innovation Law (IBIL) Conference, The Internet of Things 1 - Cars (link)
- 24 September 2019
MIP European Patent Forum, Paris 2019, Conference Chair (link)
- 28 September 2017
CIPA Congress 2017, Racing on rough seas: Competition Law and Patents
- 10 June 2015
CIPA/IPKat CPD Seminar, Three aspects of information: Current issues in trade secrets, client confidentiality and privilege (link)
- 12 March 2015
EIP Seminar, Effective Innovation Planning
- 23 June 2014
BIO International Convention, Compulsory licensing in emerging markets
- July 2013
High Protection Technology Summit, European Unitary Patent (link)
- July 2013
One Nucleus BioWednesday, Managing IP Litigation on a Budget (link)
- April 2013
BIO International Convention, Multi-Party and Cross-Border Patent Issues Affecting Biotech Businesses