Christof is an attorney-at-law and head of the Düsseldorf office. The main focus of his work is patent litigation with particular expertise in the fields of electronics, pharmaceuticals and mechanical engineering. He also represents clients, alongside patent-attorneys, in parallel opposition and nullity proceedings before the European Patent Office, Federal Patent Court and Federal Supreme Court.
Before joining EIP, Christof worked in the patent litigation team of Bird & Bird LLP and Taylor Wessing, where he was appointed partner in 2015.
Christof holds a Law degree from the University of Constance and is a Certified Specialist in Intellectual Property Law (Fachanwalt für Gewerblichen Rechtsschutz). He speaks German and English.
- Acting for Plaintiff in multinational electronics litigation.
- Acting for Plaintiff in comprehensive standard-essential patent litigation relating to connected cars. (link)
- Acting for Defendant in home electronics litigation.
- Acting for Plaintiff in comprehensive multinational electronics litigation relating to telecommunication patents. (link)
- 10 September 2019
Lawyer Monthly, Striking A Balance: SPC Manufacturing Waiver (link)
- 28 May 2019
Intellectual Property Magazine, Block by block (link)
- March 2019
European Pharmaceutical Review, Compulsory licenses in Germany: a tool for licensing negotiations? (link)
- 7 August 2018
Lawyer Monthly, Why is FRAND important for the automotive industry? (link)
IP Rechtsberater, Erfolgreicher Erschöpfungseinwand ohne Berücksichtigung der Verkehrsauffassung
- 9 April 2018
Lawyer Monthly, The Driverless Race Is On: Patenting Autonomous Driving (link)
- 2 January 2018
European Pharmaceutical Review, Pharma patent challenges for 2018 (link)
Education and qualifications
Certified Specialist in Intellectual Property Law (Fachanwalt für Gewerblichen Rechtsschutz)
PhD in Law (Dr.iur), University of Düsseldorf
2005 — 2007
Law clerkship, Higher Regional Court Düsseldorf
LL.M. (Intellectual Property Law), Nottingham-Trent-University
1997 — 2002
Law Studies, University of Constance
- October 2017 — present
- March 2012 — September 2017
Attorney-at-law, Taylor Wessing
- June 2007 — February 2012
Attorney-at-law, Bird & Bird
- December 2003 — March 2005
Research assistant, Bird & Bird
Awards and recognition
- Recommended IAM Patent 1000, 2021. (link)
- JUVE 2020 Top patent litigation firms (Germany) - Recommended individuals (link)
- IAM Patent 1000, 2020. Christof is "well versed in the intricacies of cross-border disputes" and "celebrated for his “collaborative approach and ability to always provide creative, on-point advice”." (link)
- IAM Patent 1000, 2019. "Christof Höhne possesses special expertise in electronics, pharmaceutical and mechanical engineering patent litigation. With experience of working in other top European outfits under his belt, his is the name to dial for well-measured multi-jurisdictional counsel." (link)
- 24 September 2019
MIP European Patent Forum, Paris 2019, Strategic considerations when planning and enforcing your international patents (link)
Member of European Patent Lawyers Association (EPLAW), GRUR and AIPPI.